Pages

Friday, July 1, 2011

Stebbins Cold Canyon Reserve

Yesterday, Nick and I did some hiking aound the Lake Berryessa area. In the morning, we drove along a 5 mile gravel road on the east shore of the lake. This is a very peaceful ranching area, that is also a little known wildlife area open to the public. We saw Meadowlarks, Tree Swallows, Kestrels, Osprey, White Pelicans, and surprisingly, feral Peacocks. Around noon, we headed over to the dam end to hike the 5 mile loop in the Stebbins Cold Canyon Reserve. It was anything but cold yesterday!


We had lunch at a shady spot along the creek. From here, the trail climbed steeply up to Blue Ridge.


On the ridge we saw several Tiger Whiptail lizzards cuising along searching for bugs. I read they can run up to 30 mph!



I haven't seen one for years, and in the past few weeks saw several in Santa Barbara up on a peak, and then these yesterday. Good luck, I guess.





The trail follows the spine of the ridge for a couple miles. You could see UC Davis out in the distance to the east, and the lake to the west.



Two sweaty dudes at one of the viewpoints. It was a great day of knocking around, talking, and seeing plenty things to keep us entertained.

1 comment:

Andria said...

Wish I could have joined you!! (I always say that.) Is my baby brother still getting taller?!

Cool pelican videos, too!