Pages

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Playful Pelicans

Below are 2 videos I took with my new iPhone (yes, I'm cool) while I was siphoning stuff off the bottom of the pools in the pelican aviary. These are all first year pelicans (about 40) who were found on beaches. They were starving, too weak to fly, and all would have died. Some have other problems like injuries and infected splinters in their feet. Anyway, they are recovering nicely, and like kids, like to play with things. Here, they are playing with the siphon hose I'm trying to use, and a garden hose that is running. They are definitely curious, and very observant. I love them!


It was a long day of bird care with the pelicans, dozens of herons and egrets, hatching bitterns (16 eggs, about 12 hatched so far), a kestrel, 8 killdeer, coot, grebes, murres, and others. And, we're getting word from NAR in Santa Cruz, that they are getting a lot of loons, which means many will be sent to us.





No comments: