Pages

Wednesday, May 15, 2024

April's Ducklings Fledge

 As luck would have it, the camera inside April's nest box quit working a few days before the eggs were due to hatch.  There was not much I could do as I certainly didn't want to open her box to fiddle with the camera.  It appears that her eggs hatched on May 5, as she was still sitting on the nest  and there were bits of egg shell around her. I made a quick check with my endoscope.  Her ducklings must have been under her.  The next day, April and ducklings were gone.  I have a trail cam aimed at the river in hopes that she will come by with her ducklings.



April sitting on eggs.  You can see two of them peeking out from her, lower left.




Endoscope view on May 6.  Egg shell pieces were mixed into her pine shavings.  I didn't see any evidence of predation or anything that went wrong. We sure would have loved to see the ducklings pop out of the box and run for the water.


No comments: