Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2019

February 25: Two Different Looks

Yesterday dawned with a snow covered yard and large flakes still falling.  It was our deepest snow this winter.  





 Anyone for bocce ball?


 After walking around the property for awhile, we took our hike up the 5300, our nearby Forest Service road.


 We didn't go far before running into a herd of elk on the road.


 Their tracks are much larger than deer!


 You can see how they drag their feet. We noticed our tracks did the same thing.


 Gail quenching her thirst.


 Winter Wonderland


Snow Basket


 In the afternoon, I had errands to do in Waldport.  The sun came out so I spent a few hours beachcombing and enjoying the warmth.  My first stop was at Seal Rock.  On the coast, you never would have thought it snowed.  


 This little stretch has interesting geological features.  The basaltic flows originated in the Hell's Canyon area near Idaho.  Above is a large shell midden left by indigenous people.


Basaltic islands of Seal Rock.


In the cliff are numerous logs poking out from when this spot was a forested bog. It was covered by sand dunes thousands of years ago. Some of the stumps that are now exposed have been dated to over 4,000 years old.



I believe these are beach rocks cemented by iron oxide (I have a book on the geology of Seal Rock).

On to Tillicum Beach, just north of Yachats.

 Sandpipers in the late afternoon.  I collected a handful of agates along the beach.


Sandpipers and Clouds


Sandpipers Piping

1 comment:

Nick said...

Beautiful pictures Dad! I especially like the sandpiper ones. AND I just realized when I read "Sandpipers piping", why they have their name... their beaks are little pipes into the sand, of course.