Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Duck Box

I finished my duck nesting box and installed it today.  I'm hoping to to have renters this spring and summer.  Possible tenants could be Wood Ducks, mergansers, Northern Flickers, owls, or who knows?


 I followed the plans from Ducks Unlimited.  I made the predator guard out of sheet metal to keep out raccoons and other predators.


 One side opens up for clean out and camera adjustment. I installed a camera in the top and ran a cable up the bank to the house. Below the entry hole I added a series of kerf cuts to help the ducklings climb up and out when they fledge (getting optimistic here).  The nest material is aspen shavings.  Wood Ducks and Mergansers are cavity nesters, but don't bring in materials.


 I located the box straight down the bank from the house in an area that we don't go into often.  It faces the river where waterfowl will notice the contrast of its opening.  I noticed some Common Mergansers on the river this morning.  We have seen Wood Ducks in the past on my trail cam.


This is the camera view at night looking down on the aspen shavings.  The picture should be in color during the daytime as I think enough light will enter the entry hole.  Hopefully, I will have some updates in the future with living inhabitants! 

No comments: