Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

Cruise Night in Escondido

Starting in April, Escondido has a cruise night every Friday, in which the main downtown street and several side streets are for classic cars and hot rods only - pre 1974.  The owners, mostly guys in their 60's and beyond, sit near the cars they always dreamed about, but only now can afford (I'm making this up, but this is how I imagaine it).  The community seems very behind this long running event, and there is live music and a bit of a party atmosphere.  Few of the owners actually cruise, probably in part due to the cost of gas.  This is good.  My first Cruizin' Grand, April 20, 2012.

Gail and I enjoying the pleasant late afternoon.  I found myself remembering how I used to pour over car magazines instead of doing my homework in Jr. High. 

I had a '58 Chevy pickup truck which never got much past the "before" state. 

The vibe was good, with families and folks of all ages.

Gail next to a '30 or '31 Model A coupe.  I got my first car, a '31 A coupe, when I was 14, for $100.  I was going to make a hot rod out of it, but ended up feeling good just getting it running well.  I learned a lot about cars and tools in the process!

The hood of a beautiful Henry J.

That "channeled" Model A again, with a blown hemi engine.

A Willy's coupe ready for the drag strip.

I think this is the same Henry J from above.

This bad boy is a shoebox, meaning a '49 - '51 Ford.  When I was 12, I used to drive up and down the driveway in my parents' '51 Ford.  I loved that car!

Chopped roof and slammed to the ground!  The front grill treatment was popular in the fifties.

Proof that anything can be made into a hot rod! 


No comments: