Pages

Saturday, September 18, 2021

The Past Four Weeks

 The past four weeks have seen a transition towards fall, without any rain until last night.  In the past 22 hours it has rained over two inches, the river has about quadrupled in flow, dust has been washed off, and once again we hear the song of the river from within our home.  The following will once again be kind of a mishmash of photos.  


Going back to early August's visit from friends, Gail snapped this one of me. Mary, and Daisy.



September 6th was Daisy's 5th birthday.  Gail baked her some homemade dog biscuits, which to me seemed like perfect backpacking food - much better than Clif Bars I bet!



Gail's homemade dog biscuits.



The next day, we took Daisy out to lunch at the Drift Inn (thank you Andria!).  Daisy was well behaved, and the patio was a the perfect dog spot.



It was also Andria's birthday, in August, and I made her this birdhouse for her garden.  It is designed specifically for swallows, but bluebirds are also welcome.



We couldn't resist buying these quail eggs from Blossomwood Farmstead down the road.  Gail turned them into wonderful appetizers!



Meanwhile, our farmstead has been plugging along.



Early Girl tomatoes finally ripening in August.



The Helda pole beans behind that 7 ft. ladder clambered up anything they could.  We ate beans, beans, and more beans as well as froze a lot.  



I made a table to sell extra produce out on the road.  I made a few dollars, but now I have to figure out how to launder the money 😕.



Penelope, here, appreciating the catnip I planted for her.



Our Asian pear tree is loaded this year.  There should be plenty for us and the bears!





While on a hike, we saw what appeared to be a male garter snake following the scent of a female garter snake.  The female looks very fat already! 



We have a number of different hydrangeas.  I love the blue color on this one.  The color blue is supposed to be relatively rare in nature.




I planted 3 different salvias in the planter boxes I rebuilt last winter.  Maybe I'll try dahlias next year.




I couldn't believe my eyes!  There has been a ban throughout the county on all outdoor fires including campfires, beach fires, debris burning, and even in the fire pits at state parks.  I went to check our mail box and I saw this fire burning away at the fire station with no one tending it.  I called the main station to report this.  Apparently a volunteer thought this was ok.  




Gail in the morning fog.




Sadly, a 30 ft. juvenile gray whale washed up the mouth of the Yachats River.  Biologists thought it had been killed by orcas judging by its wounds.  That is the Highway 101 bridge in the background.



Down at our big spruce, one of our favorite meditation spots.





                                        Our almost resident doe and fawn enjoying our apples.




A screenshot of an owl, probably a barred owl, caught on my trail camera.


Well, that wraps it up.  

Tease:  yesterday, Gail and I took advantage of the low river to plod upstream and then downstream to places people never get to.  Photos coming soon!











1 comment:

Dave said...

Love the photo of Penelope. That photo of the dead gray whale is fascinating, too. So happy the rain finally returned for you!