Pages

Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Breaking Bad Party and More

 It has been an interesting past week.  First, we had the pleasure of meeting two friendly seniors who are active in our areas of interest. Jim is heading up a big swallow nesting box project in the Yachats River Valley, and Wally is the head of the Yachats Trails Group.  They both paid us a visit and enjoyed a tour of our place.  I plan to help out on both their efforts.  

Then last Wednesday got a little dramatic.  I started hiking up a Forest Service road with Daisy, and  Gail was riding her bike in training for the ride around Crater Lake.  After about 50 feet or so of walking up hill, I became very dizzy and weak.  I stopped and recovered. I started again several times but the same result.  I had told Gail to go on ahead, that I would catch up.  I checked my pulse, and it seemed slower than my normal resting pulse of 60.  It wouldn't increase with physical effort.  I began to think something could be seriously wrong, so I drove back to the house and took my BP and pulse.  My pulse was 54-55 and blood pressure was high normal.  I felt no pain, or numbness.  Gail came home shortly, and we decided to go to the ER in Newport and not take chances.  When you arrive at the ER with a cardiac issue, you go to the front of the line.  So...  I had tests and was observed for 8 hours while they tried to figure out what was wrong.  A liter of IV fluids, chest X-ray, bloodwork, and finally they sent my pacemaker data to the manufacturer.  When I first got there, I had explained that I was pacemaker dependent, and that I was about to be scheduled for pacemaker and battery replacement, as my current battery was at the end of its useful life.  I asked that they contact my cardiologist to keep him in the loop.  Well it turned out that my pacemaker had gone to power save mode, reducing my pulse by 10%, and not allowing it to ramp up above the new resting pulse of 54 bpm.  Why I wasn't warned about this possibility is beyond me.  I could have been at the bottom of a canyon when this happened.  The good news is that I feel fine just shuffling around, and I get my new pacemaker this Thursday.  Then, I should be back to my old self.

Yesterday was a hoot.  Gail and I had our very own Breaking Bad party in celebration of watching the final episode.  This is the third time we have watched the whole series.  It's embarrassing how much we forget before watching again.  There is something fascinating about about the characters, like watching Walter White go from high school chemistry teacher to maestro crystal meth producer, and become a lying, murderous, cartel associate.  All the characters are intriguing.  Anyway, below are a few pics from yesterday.

Important disclaimer:  We have never used or condoned the use of methamphetamine.  Breaking Bad shows a very clear picture of the horrible results of its use, the despicable crime involved, and the effects on innocent people.
























I think Gail has a thing for Jesse Pinkman.

No comments: