Pages

Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Going Macro

I recently ordered and received a macro lens for my camera. This lens enables one to get photos of very small subjects without cropping, resulting in the potential for high resolution photos.  It is tricky business, though, because these lenses at close range have a very shallow depth of field.  It boils down to the right compromises between closing down the aperture for greater depth of field and compensating for the reduced light through use of flash or artificial light, slower shutter speed, and using a camera support.  To get the largest image with my lens, it needs to be about 11 inches from the subject.  Most insects and small animals are easily scared off at that range.  I took most of these photos using a monopod for support, but focusing was very difficult, especially with shaky hands.  Add wind and it was even more challenging.  I might stick to a tripod the next time out.  The macro lens can also be used for non macro purposes like portraits.

In spite of the difficulties, my first couple sessions of experimenting have been encouraging, and I can't wait for a windless, sunny morning to prowl the yard.




















































1 comment:

Andria said...

Wow! These are amazing! That snake face is beautiful.

I have that same periwinkle-blue perennial geranium plant in my front yard!