Pages

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Lizards of Mt. Woodson

Yesterday, I hiked up Mt. Woodson from Lake Poway, taking time to photograph my spirit animals - lizards.


 Orange-throated Whiptail


Second Orange-throated Whiptail


California Ground Squirrel (not a lizard)


Granite Spiny Lizard


San Diegan Tiger Whiptail


Third Orange-throated Whiptail


Second San Diegan Tiger Whiptail


Western Side-blotched Lizard


Wasp


Second Granite Spiny Lizard


California Granite Hippo


Second Western Side-blotched Lizard


Third Western Side-blotched Lizard

Observations:  I have noticed over the years that in the fall I see mainly small reptiles and juveniles of larger species.  I hypothesize that with shorter and cooler days, the smaller reptiles can warm up quickly. The bigger adults may also be able to hibernate longer due to more body mass. 

1 comment:

Dave said...

I have never spotted a granite hippo in the wild. Good find!