Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

The Surfing World Tour

Today, I biked up to Trestles to watch the annual world tour surfing event there.  I was an active surfer in the 60's and early 70's, but let it go after moving to Northern California.  It is still in my blood, however, and I enjoy watching what the best surfers are doing these days.

I have only a few photos of my surfing years - film was expensive, and we were having too much fun to bother with cameras.  Here are three pics of me back in the day.

 That's me in back in the blue helmet, Guethary, France, 1965.  They were giving away the helmets at a gas station, so we all wore them out in the surf that day.

Guethary, France, 1965

In the curl, El Capitan, Santa Barbara County, 1966.  I loved this fickle spot, and was the only one out on this December afternoon.  

Anyway, I digress.  The following are pictures of today's first heats, the first of several days of competition.

This is Trestles, one of the best breaks on the west coast and in a relatively natural setting, too.  Those orange tent structures are the judging towers, competitor areas, and merchandise stores.  They are temporary for the event.

This is what it looks like down by the water.

 Former world champ Mick Fanning

 Mick again.  He is called "White Lightning" for his ability to generate speed.

 Hiroto Ohhara from Japan.

 Mick, from Australia, was recently attacked by a Great White Shark while in the Finals on live broadcast, in South Africa.  He was unscathed, atleast physically.  His board had a huge bite, however.

 These guys can get upside down and fly through the air!

 Brazilian fans are rabid!

 The influence of skateboarding on surfing.

 A real crowd favorite is John John Florence from Hawaii.

 And from Santa Cruz, one of my favorites, Nat Young.

Nat signing a "young" admirer's shirt.

Taking to the air again.

On the bike ride back to the van through the Camp Pendleton Marine Base, I watched this VTOL plane practicing a landing.  There is a huge military presence around these parts.  

No comments: