Pages

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Good Day for Snakes

I love to see reptiles on my hikes, especially snakes.  On my hike today at Calavera Nature Preserve, I lucked out with two good sightings within a half hour.

On the trail was a sparkling San Diego Gopher Snake. 

It must have recently shed as it was very bright and shiny.

It was probably about 3 feet in length.  The longest gopher snake on record was 9 feet two inches!

Next up was this Red Diamond Rattlesnake, about 3 and 1/2 feet long.

No mistaking that head for anything besides rattlesnake!

... or the tail! 
The End

2 comments:

Andria said...

Are you serious with that rattlesnake???!!!! Amazing!!!

Dave said...

Bob - like Andria and I have always maintained, you have a crazy extra sense for these reptiles when you're out on hikes. I'm grateful you weren't with me when we were out in the southern Mississippi bush a couple weeks ago doing land navigation training. You should look up the critters in this part of the country. We would have been sure to come across a cottonmouth, a rattlesnake, and probably a handful of other (poisonous) snakes and spiders while out there. Wish I had your courage around these creatures.