Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Napa / Sonoma Marshes and Fields

I spent several hours, today, hiking around in the Napa / Sonoma marshes and fields. I hadn't been to this particular area, before. My hike started on a muddy track that went out about a mile to an abandoned house and barn.

I hope to come back at night sometime soon for some night photos.

There was also a collapsed barn, and a few abandoned tractors along the way.


Past the house, I came to a levee and slough. There were several white tail kites and northern harriers hunting in this area. I also saw 2 barn owls and a great horned owl in the same barn.


Tunnel vision.

Across a canal was this huge plowed field. That's Mt. Diablo in the distance.


I tried an old, unmarked road that went a couple miles. This is a one lane bridge out in the middle of nowhere.

Driving back out through the Carneros wine region, the mustard is beginning to bloom. This whole area is such a nice contrast to the fast paced Bay Area urban chaos. Much of it is being returned to marshland, after years of exploitation by farmers and salt pond companies.

No comments: