Pages

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Rockets

When I'm not stomping around in the tules, or helping at IBRRC, I actually have a real job teaching three days a week at Napa High. The last two days we literally had a blast firing the rockets my students made. Made from 2 liter soda bottles, a wad of clay in the nose, cardboard, duct tape, and powered by water and compressed air, they go amazingly far (but not always where you planned). The record today was 481 feet down range.
Pressure being applied the old fashioned way. The launcher - custom built by Bob.

The range. We had some rockets go just about to the end of this field.

Blast off!


Newton's Third Law of Motion, "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction".


All eyes aimed down field. In the middle is Valerie, my co-teacher, who has the other two days of the week.

The peanut gallery watches, and heckles.



Teacher tries to show up the students, but fortunately fails. Thankfully, we finished the unit with no injuries or irate PE teachers. Six more school days!

2 comments:

Andria said...

I always love hearing about "rocket day." Nora would have thought this was the coolest thing!!! Awesome homemade launcher!

Dave said...

Thanks for a window onto this world. I've heard so much talk about it over the years, but now I know what it's all about. Have a great trip to see the little ones!