Pages

Sunday, April 4, 2010

La Cumbre Peak

Last Thursday, I climbed to the top of La Cumbre Peak in Santa Barbara. The trailhead is not far from my Mom's house, and the elevation gain of about 3,500 feet makes it a good training hike. I have been vowing to do this for a long time, as I haven't hiked to the top since I was about 15.
Looking out through a burned oak to Santa Cruz Island in the distance.

Above, you can see the faint line of the trail.

Atop the peak, on the tilted ocean floor, you can barely see the old abandoned lookout tower.


It was a cold night, and it actually snowed up here - amazing for Santa Barbara on April 1!


The old lookout tower is now buddies with various antennae. Elevation 3,985 feet.


A nice view across town to the harbor.

Looking east towards Ventura.

Erosion is everywhere, caused by fire, then heavy rain.

Despite last year's fire, or maybe because of it, wildflowers are doing well.















Rattlesnake Creek is still running pretty strong.

Fossil shells, maybe mussel shells, at about the 3,000 foot altitude level, made me wonder about the upheaval California is going through.




Mom looking pretty cute for 90 years old! Nora and I took her to the Natural History Museum on Wednesday, as it was too cold and windy for her usual beach walk.

No comments: