Pages

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Pelicans of Santa Barbara

Brown Pelicans are wintering in Santa Barbara in large numbers. In fact there were an estimated 3,000 in the harbor not too long ago. I was able to slowly slide on my bottom sideways to get close enough to a group of about a hundred for some photos... until, that is, a group of people walked right through the middle of them.
The pelicans with white on their heads and throats are entering their third or later year. The pelicans that are all brown are entering their second year. the ones with red on their necks and pouches are breeding males.


Preening the feathers to stay waterproof.

Head throws are thought to be a form of interflock communication.


It's amazing how something so awkward on the ground is so graceful in the air. I would love to spend more time taking pictures of pelicans skimming the water in formation, and looking for subjects with a less distracting background. My recreation time was very limited on this trip, and I'm learning as I go along.

1 comment:

Andria said...

Wow. AWESOME PICTURES!!!! I learned alot about pelicans, too. Honestly, I can't imagine you grabbing one of these and shoving a pill down its throat!