Pages

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Backyard Beauties

I have been weeding today and I thought I should take a pic of our Fremontia bush before it loses all its flowers. This is about the only plant in our yard that is happy as it needs no watering or care. It is about as big as these plants get, I believe. It is a native and the flowers are actually bracts. Its leaves are covered by fuzz that is irritating to the skin. It is also called Flannel Bush.





I also found this little Sharptail snake in some leaf litter. They have a little harmless spine on their tail that is probably used to anchor the snake while it swallows small slugs. Its range is expanding due to the increase in gardens and European slugs (preferred over native slugs) in them.


1 comment:

Andria said...

That's fascinating about the snake!!

I saw "our" garter snake again yesterday afternoon. He was sunning right in the middle of the yard.